Moving Soon

I can’t believe we’re posting this just after a year of living in our current rental, but the townhouse in Nashville we have so lovingly updated will no longer be the place we call home as of October.

This means I will be blogging not only about my year of organizational ventures, but also now a move that I hope will be infinitely more organized than our last one. This will be our third move in 1.5 years of marriage and I hope it will be our last before we purchase or build a house of our own.

There are so many useful tips I’ve picked up over the years; tips about packing, unpacking, cleaning and pretty much any other facet of moving you can think of. Some have helped, some haven’t. I’m interested to see which ones will prove worthy of our joint effort moving our combined households of stuff to a new location after we had just zoned in on the finish line with organizing this place.

We will have several things going for us. First, the hard work (outside of the actual packing and moving) is already done. I estimate 85% of our belongings have a home and are grouped with like items in the rooms in which they are used most frequently. The remaining 15% are either papers/craft items/vintage things I bought to resell and have yet to sort through and put in proper places, or they are items that we just didn’t have room for in our current place. For instance, my vintage typewriter in a case, or Daniel’s adjustable free weights. This means that when we pack, all we have to do is go to a room, cabinet, or closet, and take the items we find there and pack them together, labeled as such. Then, we’ll take them to the next house and set them up in a similar location. MUCH simpler than our last, slightly chaotic, move, in which we were trying to just get items from point A to point B in the quickest time possible.

Second, we have already sorted and eliminated many unnecessary objects from our possession. When we got married and moved into our apartment, we both left piles of things for Goodwill or the trash. When we moved together from our first apartment to our current townhouse, we threw out dozens of bags of paper and household trash and donated multiple carloads of items to Goodwill. When we sorted and organized our house after moving in, we again threw out dozens of bags of items that were not in good condition and gave away carloads of those that were. This means we have so much less to move! Hallelujah! I estimate for this reason alone we have easily a dozen fewer boxes to move this time around.

And lastly, we’ve both come to appreciate the skill of living better with less. While our cherished family heirlooms or beloved gifts will never be tossed or given away, we resist the urge to fill our home with “things” … things that have little value in the long run, so we are moving with the intention of only bringing to our new home those things that, in the words of William Morris, “[h]ave nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.” I think it’s a good mantra to live by and I am glad to know it will make our move easier!

I plan to document this journey for those who may be in a similar situation, whether moving multiple times in the space of two years, or simply moving for the first time when combining households. I hope my trials and errors along the way will help out others.

Image: Carlos Gustavo Curado


Leave a comment

Filed under Moving

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s